Where We Are and How We Got Here
The Town of Addison is located in an area once called Peters Colony. It was settled as early as 1846 when Preston Witt built a house on White Rock Creek.
Preston Witt (center) was one of the first recorded settlers in the Addison area. Trinity Mills Road in north Carrollton is named after the successful mill he operated with his brother Wade Witt and their brother-in-law A. W. Perry.
The area was not known as Addison until 1902. Addison was named after Addison Robertson, who served as the community’s second postmaster from 1908-1916. In 1902, the first industry was introduced to Addison when a cotton gin was built on Addison Road, near the railroad, by the Pistole brothers. It became the Plano Cotton Oil Mill in 1904 and the Farmers Gin of Addison in 1919.
Located on Belt Line Road is the Addison School Building, which was built in 1914. In 1954, the school was annexed and became a part of the Dallas Independent School District. The school, which was closed in 1964, now serves as the Addison Magic Time Machine Restaurant.
The City of Addison was incorporated on June 15, 1953, under an alder-manic form of government and was changed to the “Town of Addison” in 1982. Addison’s first Mayor was M.W. Morris and the aldermen were Guy Dennis, Robert W. Wood, J.E. Julian, Jr., Dr. H.T. Nesbit and Seldon Knowles.
In 1975, an election to allow liquor by the drink served in town was a major contributor to the expansion of businesses and restaurants. All combined, Addison’s restaurants and eating establishments can seat over 20,000 patrons at one time.
In 1978, the Town of Addison constructed its first town park, and by 1980 an aggressive beautification program was under way. Today, Addison’s 118 acres of parks are some of the finest in Texas, each uniquely themed and beautifully landscaped.