Applicants have up to two and a half hours to take the written examination which consists of general knowledge questions on reading comprehension, grammar, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary, arithmetic, and decision-making. Those passing the written examination will then take the physical fitness examination the same day.
Police applicants may purchase a test preparation guide directly from the test provider by visiting http://www.bannonandassociates.com/
The written examination is scheduled by appointment only. To schedule an exam, please contact 972.450.7100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Physical Fitness Examination
Applicants for the position of a police officer will be subject to the following physical examinations:
All applicants must complete the Physical Readiness Testing (PRT) consisting of a 2000 meter row. Those applicants who cannot pass the PRT will not be allowed to continue in the process. Applicants should be encouraged to put forth their best efforts and reminded that the application and selection process is competitive.
- The minimum standard for each applicant is based on age and gender. Using the percentage results for the test battery found on the Texas Department of Public Safety website chart and the 2000 Meter row calculator; applicants must meet a minimum percentage score of 25% in order to be considered for employment. Minimum percentages for testing are evaluated on an annual basis by the Addison Police Department and are based on recommendations from the Texas Department of Public Safety. The DPS fitness chart and the row calculator can be found here.
- Rowing Stroke: Tips on how to increase cardiorespiratory fitness utilizing the Concept 2 Rower.
- Common Rowing Technique Errors
- Training on the Concept 2 Rower
- Additional Rower Workouts can be found on the Concept 2 Website.