All applicants must meet minimum requirements to test for a Police Officer position.
- Must be a United States citizen, as required for TCOLE Certification (Texas Commission on Law Enforcement).
- Sixty (60) college hours from an accredited institution; OR college hours will be waived completely if the applicant has at least three (3) years active duty prior military service or two (2) years full-time, paid sworn law enforcement experience.
- Prefer minimum 12-months uniformed patrol experience.
- Minimum age of 21 years.
- Current and valid Texas driver's license.
- Safe driving record which is defined as no more than 3 moving violations in the past 36-months; no record of DWI, DUI, or license suspension within the past ten years.
- Must be of good character as determined by investigation of criminal history, driving records, past employment, military history, financial history, and general background references verifying applicant conduct consistent with position requirements.
- Vision must be sufficiently correctable, day or night, to 20/20 to ensure safe operation of vehicles and to identify targets for firearms discharged from a distance of up to 50 yards. Must be able to distinguish between colors red, green, and yellow when responding to calls and follow-up investigations.
- Must pass an initial physical fitness test and maintain fitness throughout tenure as a condition of continued employment. Incumbent officers must pass a mandatory annual physical fitness test.